Friday, May 10, 2013

From Meatballs to Burgers

May 10, 2013

My daughter wanted to try the leftover millet as an oatmeal substitute today. I heated up the millet with some coconut milk then topped it with cinnamon. She liked it but said she still prefers oatmeal. FYI millet dries out quite a bit over night in the fridge so I wouldn't purposefully make extra for leftovers. My son had cinnamon toast crunch cereal for breakfast and went to have his second bowl. Gasp! He finished off the last of the vanilla almond milk and said "mom, we need more vanilla milk"! I was totally expecting him to ask for more regular (cow's) milk.

Oh! Funny story that I forgot to tell yesterday so I will throw it in here today. I was listing off the veggies that I had added to the lentils. My daughter interrupted me and said "what about the potatoes"? Ha! There were no potatoes. She was eating chunks of portobello mushrooms.

My daughter packed a peanut butter sandwich today. She sprinkled her sandwich with some of the pumpkin seeds. My son packed some abc pasta. My hubby had a peanut butter sandwich. I decided to try a lunch idea that I saw on Buzzfeed.com. A pizzadilla! I got out a tortilla and topped it with homemade pizza sauce, onion, mushrooms, spinach, green and red peppers (frozen from farmer's market), and mozzarella cheese. I folded it in half and browned it up in a pan. It was delicious! Next time I need to heat up the peppers first. They were pretty juicy thawing out in my pizzadilla.

Nobody could decide what we felt like for dinner. I showed my hubby the list of recipes that I have the ingredients for. He asked if I wanted to do burgers. Wohoo! It just so happens that I had a pot of garbanzo beans simmering on the stove. The meatballs that we made earlier this week were such a hit that we decided to make the same mixture and just flatten them out and cook them as burgers. It was a mixture of garbanzo beans, panko bread crumbs, oatmeal, onion,worcestershire sauce, egg, asiago cheese, parsley, pepper, garlic powder, and salt that I found on celiag16.hubpages.com. We topped them with sauteed onions and mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, tomato, ketchup, and mustard. We made a side salad with romaine lettuce, spinach, red onion, mushrooms, cucumber, and tomatoes. I topped my salad with sunflower seeds. My daughter asked if she could steal a handful of garbanzo beans to top her salad. How did the garbanzo bean burgers fare? We all liked them and nobody has any changes for next time. Oh, except maybe cheese. I totally forgot cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment