Saturday, May 11, 2013

Juice Me

May 11, 2013

We started our Mother's Day celebration early. We went out to lunch at Panera Bread. I had a Mediterranean veggie sandwich. My daughter had noodles. My son had macaroni and cheese. My hubby had a tomato mozzarella panini. After lunch we went shopping and I found my Mother's Day gift: a juicer!

Our next stop was at a natural foods store. I picked up some chia meal (the lady said it is easier to use than chia seeds). I'm not real sure what I will do with it but I know I've seen it in a lot of healthier recipes. I also found us a few brands of dairy free yogurt to try. I got a container of coconut milk ice cream. The real fun was that the kids even got to grind up their own fresh peanut butter! We tried one yogurt and the ice cream when we got home. Yum! They were great! Getting off of some dairy might not be so bad.

We came home and I started playing with the juicer. And playing. And playing. We sampled four different juices. First we made a carrot, celery, and apple juice. Next up was pineapple, sweet potato, and orange. Then we tried apple and strawberry. Our last juice was grapefruit, pineapple, and sweet potato. Some of these sound so weird. The sweet potato actually just adds a little sweetness. Ha. Go figure. Sweet from sweet potato. My daughter's favorite was the one with grapefruit, pineapple, and sweet potato. The rest of us really liked the pineapple, orange, and sweet potato.

I looked at a recipe on Iowa girl eats for grilled garden wraps. Her recipe called for grilled eggplant, yellow squash, and corn. Also, there was tomatoes, cucumber, and vegetable cream cheese in the tortilla. Good. But not quite enough. I decided to add in grilled zucchini and onions. I also brought out the bag of spinach. I bought a chive and onion cream cheese alternative for my daughter. Hmmm. I wasn't sure if anyone else would want to eat it. Uh oh. There was no protein in our wrap. I looked in the fridge and saw that I had leftover edamame. I through the edamame, an avocado, garlic, and lime juice in the food processor. I had everyone sample the "cream cheese" and edamame spread to see which they wanted on their wrap. My son said the cream cheese one. WHAT?! My daughter said both. Ok, real test time. Hubby? He wanted both too! I was planning on only having the edamame spread on mine but I couldn't be the only stick in the mud. I had both too.

How did our first meal of eggplant go? Everyone inhaled their wraps. My son just asked that next time we cut the pieces smaller inside of the wrap. My daughter really liked it. I think the only thing I would change is to add mushrooms next time. How did I not add them today?! What about the cream cheese alternative? It was fine with all the other flavors going on.

I had to get the juicer out one last time for the night. I wanted to make bloody mary's for my hubby and me. I used home canned tomatoes, red pepper (from farmer's market), and celery. We poured our fresh juice over ice and of course a little vodka. I finished mine off with celery and my hubby's with a homemade habanero pickle. Ok, that's it for tonight. My bloody mary is waiting...


No comments:

Post a Comment