Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Spaghetti

May 29, 2013

My daughter packed leftover quinoa and leftover black beans (that I had processed with a little salsa) along with an apple for lunch. My son packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, fruit salad, and yogurt. My hubby stepped in and drew on the sandwich bag. My son loved it!

My hubby was home for lunch today and we decided on having fajitas. He cooked up onion, portabella mushrooms, green/yellow/red peppers, and jalapeno pepper. He seasoned it with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper. We filled our tortillas with spinach, avocado, mexican cheese, sour cream, and cilantro. I found a container of whole black beans in the fridge so we added those in too. Yum!

The kids and I were on our own for dinner. I picked one of my favorites: spaghetti. I decided to change it up a bit without telling the kids. I have one bag of yellow squash (shredded) in the freezer. I broke off a chunk of it (about 1/2 cup) and thawed it out. I grabbed a bag of small white beans out of the freezer too. I didn't want the kids to see "stringy" yellow stuff in the sauce or they  might complain. I put it in the food processor. It wasn't really chopping because it was so small an amount. Instead of leaving whole beans in the sauce, I decided to throw about a cup into the food processor too. I added in a little homemade spaghetti sauce to thin it enough to chop. I added the mix to a saucepan with a quart of homemade spaghetti sauce. I steamed up some cauliflower, cooked up some angel hair pasta, and we were all set. I topped my spaghetti off with asiago cheese. My daughter topped hers with nutritional yeast and extra whole beans. I asked my son if he wanted beans on his. He said no. Little did he know there was already beans pureed in the sauce. Ha. I couldn't believe that we didn't taste a difference. The kids never knew they were eating squash or beans. It was delicious. My daughter and I went back for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment