Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Grilled Lunch

May 21, 2013

My daughter packed leftover pizza, yogurt smoothie, and potatoes for lunch. My son packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, yogurt smoothie, and raspberries.

My hubby was home for lunch today. We settled on making grilled fajitas. He grilled red onion, red/yellow/green peppers, jalapenos, and portabella mushrooms. We topped our fajitas with spinach, mexican cheese, sour cream, avocado, and cilantro. The marinade is so full of flavor. 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon water, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 lime juiced (we used 1 tablespoon of lime juice from the container), 2 cloves garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. How good are the fajitas? If/when the day comes that I am once again a meat eater, I would still request these! Big thanks to Good Life Eats for such a great recipe.

My hubby had to work through dinner which made it a perfect night for an experiment. Ha. Poor kids. I grabbed a bag of great northern beans out of the freezer, thawed them in water, and then got to work. I put them along with a few splashes of almond milk into the food processor. In a pan, I sauteed onion and garlic in butter. I added in a tablespoon of flour and cooked for another minute. I added in some almond milk and then stirred in some mexican cheese. Once it was melted, I added in the bean mixture, salt, pepper, basil, and garlic/wine seasoning. I cooked quinoa pasta and added in peas during the last few minutes of cooking. Ok, so why was this an experiment? The only milk that I had was vanilla flavored almond milk or coconut flavored almond milk. I tried it with the vanilla. My daughter liked it as is. My son said next time it should be thinner. Ugh. I remember that from last time. Oops. I guess I can skip the flour because the beans thicken it up. The vanilla really didn't matter too much. I could taste a hint of it but I think it is fine versus buying a different thing of milk just for cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment