Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Salsa Corn Queso Dip

May 28, 2013

The kids had today off of school for an unused snow day. We grabbed Subway for lunch and brought it home to have a picnic with friends. I had a veggie sub (provolone, spinach, avocado, tomato, cucumber, onion, green pepper, and banana peppers. My son had a ham sandwich. My daughter ordered a salad and once we got home she added some leftover white beans to it. Not a bad deal because I got my sub for free (yay for loyalty cards). We also had some fruit salad (bananas, pears, mandarin oranges, cantelope, grapes, and strawberries.

After spending the day planting the garden, I didn't feel like cooking a big meal. I had seen a recipe this morning for a corn dip. It had me at corn but lost me at mayo. Ha. There really wasn't a whole lot of other ingredients other than peppers. Hmmmm. I bet we can make it even better. We decided to wing it. We spread half a block of cream cheese in a pie plate. I thawed out two cups of black beans and put most of them through the food processor. It was a little thick so I put in a little homemade salsa just to thin it out. That went on top of the cream cheese. We topped it with the whole black beans (just a handful). I sauteed some onions and garlic. I added in some green/yellow/red peppers that were leftover from when we grilled veggies this weekend. That went on top of the beans. Next I added corn (frozen from the farmer's market). We used cheddar and mexican cheese and then topped it off with a few green onion tops. How fun. They were from kitchen scraps that I got to regrow! As we waited for the dip to warm (400 degrees for about 15 minutes and then broiled to melt the cheese), the kids snacked on the leftover corn and some of the fruit salad from this afternoon. My son gave the dip a thumbs up. My daughter said it was the best dip ever. My hubby said "I can't believe we ate the whole thing". Ha. It was awesome. One of our new favs.

No comments:

Post a Comment