Thursday, May 16, 2013

Leftovers Turned Philly Cheese "Steak"

May 16, 2013

We had a great challenge day today. Both kids packed lunches. My daughter brought some of the leftover veggie ragu and fruit. My son packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, yogurt smoothie, and grapes. My hubby was home for lunch. We were so indecisive. We mentioned that there was still leftover "club" (minus bacon) pizza. It had spinach, tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, and carmelized onions and mushrooms. We have looked at those leftovers for the past several days but never feel like it. We just gave in today and ate them. Man! Why were we so grumpy about leftovers? It was delicious.

My hubby had to work through dinner so he packed the rest of the ragu and some fruit. I decided to hold off on the dinner I had planned so that he could enjoy it with us. I asked the kids what they would like for dinner. All I heard was a bunch of "I don't know" and saw a few shrugs. Great. Not much help. My food indecisiveness kept up with me all day. I procrastinated making a decision and went outside to water plants instead. That turned into playing catch with the kids. Uh oh. Next thing I knew, we were hungry and it was time to cook. Now what?

I looked in the fridge and remembered how leftovers had worked out well at lunch. There was a container of the "meat" that we used for tacos. It was actually the mixture of chickpeas, asiago cheese, panko bread crumbs, oatmeal, and egg. I took a nibble and figured that it didn't really taste too much like tacos. I asked the kids if they remembered when we made philly cheese fakes (mushrooms instead of beef). They agreed that we should do sandwiches like that and to add in the leftover taco mixture. Their one request was that I didn't add in all of it so that they could have a pile of it on their plate. Ha. Ok. I sauteed onion, yellow and green pepper, and mushrooms in olive oil and then added some white wine. I added in a handful of spinach and some freshly chopped parsley, salt, pepper, and garlic wine seasoning. After the spinach was wilted, I added in the taco mixture. I loaded up our burger buns, topped them with provolone cheese, and stuck them under the broiler. We weren't too hungry so I just made us some fresh juice (strawberry and apple) and grabbed some homemade pickles. I topped my sandwich with avocado. Avocado makes everything better.



No comments:

Post a Comment