Saturday, May 25, 2013

What's for dessert?

May 25, 2013

Today was a busy day. We bought all of the plants for our garden. Even with our expansion this year, I'm afraid I won't have room for everything I want to grow. Yikes. While we were out, we decided to grab lunch. I had a gift certificate so we went to Applebee's. Macaroni and cheese and fried shrimp for the kiddos. My hubby had a four cheese grille served with tomato basil soup. I had the napa chicken and portobello mushrooms. Well, I had them hold the chicken because they don't have very many vegetarian options. It came with portobello mushrooms, zucchini, roasted red peppers, red onions, and crispy red potatoes in a red wine sauce. We all shared pretzels and beer cheese. Yum!

We spent the afternoon tilling the garden and getting it ready to plant. I came inside to start dinner and figured a nice comfort food meal would feel good after being out in the wind all day. My hubby put together a mushroom stroganoff. He followed a recipe on The Svelte Gourmet. Onion, mushrooms (we used baby bella and button), white wine, salt/pepper, dijon mustard (we used champagne dill mustard), worcestershire sauce, flour, sour cream, and dill weed came together to make a delicious stroganoff. It went perfectly with the fun noodles I found this past week. My daughter loves it when I make lasagna and the curly ends of the noodles fall off. Those are her favorite part and she always snags up the extras. Well. Guess what I found. That's right. A box of mafalda pasta which look just like the curly ends of lasagna! I can thank my sister for introducing me to our side dish. When she first told me about this salad, I was skeptical. However, it is delicious! It has romaine lettuce, spinach, strawberries, mozzarella cheese, cashews, and a strawberry poppyseed dressing.

The kids finished eating dinner and wanted dessert. Can you guess what they asked for? The leftover hummus I made out of great northern beans and yellow cupcake mix. Ha. No problem kiddos. Eat those beans!!


No comments:

Post a Comment