Thursday, May 2, 2013

Philly Cheese Fakes

May 2, 2013

My daughter surprised me this morning. She made her brother's lunch while I got to snuggle with my coffee. Yay for sweethearts! She packed him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some yogurt. She even used markers to write a sweet message to him on his sandwich bag. She bought school lunch today. I was in a hurry to get my errands done so I just heated up some of the leftover cilantro lime quinoa. I mixed in some avocado, sour cream, and mexican cheese.

I tried a new recipe for dinner tonight. Dreamfields Pasta had a recipe for Sesame-Soy Edamame & Pasta Salad. The recipe called for edamame, radishes, cilantro, and green onions. Eh. I never buy radishes. I like a lot more veggies in my pasta salad. I used the recipe as a guide but added the veggies that I had on hand. I used red onion, celery, orange pepper, purple cabbage, carrots, peas, and edamame with bowtie pasta. Now on to the dressing. It listed vegetable oil, pickled ginger, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper, hot sauce, and garlic. Hmmmm. I rather olive oil. I tried rice wine vinegar once and didn't like it so I used red wine vinegar instead. I didn't have sesame oil so I just used more olive oil. Hot sauce? No thank you.

I found a recipe on Taste of Home for Philly Cheese Fakes. Ha. I liked the idea but wanted to change a few things in the recipe. I sauteed some red onion, garlic, red and orange peppers, and baby portabella mushrooms in olive oil and then added in some local white wine. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, paprika, and the garlic wine seasoning from the Melting Pot. I filled hamburger buns with our mixture and then topped them with provolone and muenster cheese and stuck them under the broiler.

I loved the pasta salad. The recipe had me at cilantro and ginger is one of my fav's! I had made it about an hour and a half before dinner so the dressing had soaked in a little. I will probably need to add more to it tomorrow. Everybody liked the salad. My daughter was part way through her salad and said that we should have put cheese in it. I told her she could add some if she wanted to. Did she go to the fridge and get out cheese? Nope. She went to the cupboard, grabbed the bottle of nutritional yeast, and put a ton of it on her salad. My hubby laughed and she replied "what, I like cheese". Ha! I never would have thought that she would embrace some of my weird new finds. My hubby said the sandwiches were really good. I will definitely be making those again!

No comments:

Post a Comment