Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hit the Bench, Meat!

May 14, 2013

My son wanted to pack his lunch today. I figured he would ask for his usual peanut butter and jelly. I beat him to the kitchen so I pulled out an assortment of leftovers out of the fridge and simply asked "which do you want"? It worked. He picked salmon, an orange, and wheat bread. Yay buddy! My daughter decided to buy school lunch today.

My hubby was home for lunch. He felt like having a grilled cheese, not just a regular grilled cheese though. He wanted a kicked up grilled cheese. He sauteed some onion and portabella mushrooms. He added in some local white wine. He also put some scotch bonnet and ghost pepper in it. He used feta, cheddar, and provolone cheese. He said it was delicious. It looked it but I was too scared of his hot peppers to give it a try!

I didn't feel like a grilled cheese. I decided to saute up some onion, green/red/yellow pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, spinach, and portabella mushroom. I added local white wine to mine too. I stacked my veggies on a hamburger bun, topped it with provolone cheese, and stuck it under the broiler. When it came out of the oven, I added avocado. Oh man. I don't think I was prepared for how delicious it would be. I inhaled that sandwich a little too fast!

I wanted to try a new juice (because my new juicer is so much fun!) while I was working in the kitchen today. I added an apple, a handful of raspberries, and about six large strawberries. Wow! My new fav! Next, I moved on to making muffins. I wanted to take my usual banana muffin recipe and make it a little healthier. I googled recipes but had a hard time finding a recipe that used honey and applesauce instead of eggs, sugar, and butter. I decided to wing it. They turned out ok but I think I have two adjustments to make. I'll wait to give you the recipe until after my next attempt. The kids liked them though. Together they ate four of them after school! After my hubby got home, I asked him if he wanted some juice (yep, couldn't wait to get my hands on my juicer again). He asked for orange juice. Now I'm not much of an orange juice girl. I'll drink it here or there but not very often. Oh. My. Gosh. That was the BEST orange juice ever. I may need to start buying oranges by the truck full. Ha.

I took the recipe that we used for "meatballs" and "burgers" (chick peas, asiago cheese, panko bread crumbs, egg, and oatmeal) and made taco "meat" with it tonight. We seasoned it with paprika, garlic, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. We had put peppers/onions/mushrooms on our tacos at Chipotle a few weeks ago so I made us a similar topping tonight. Onion, red/yellow/green peppers, garlic, and portabella mushroom in white wine. We also used romaine lettuce, spinach, cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, mexican cheese, and taco sauce. How did the chick pea "meat" work out? We didn't even miss meat in our tacos. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment