Friday, February 1, 2013

If it looks like chocolate and tastes like chocolate...

February 1, 2013

My son packed his lunch today. He has been on a roll lately. Another $2 saved. I decided to make a recipe tonight that I used to make pretty often but haven't in awhile. If I had to guess, I would say that I started making this recipe about 11 years ago. Several of the people that I have made it for ended up requesting the recipe. I think I got it out of a Taste of Home cookbook, although it has been so long that I can't be sure. So what is it? It is called "Curly noodle pork supper".

It is a versatile recipe. I like to make it when I need to use up random veggies (usually the night before I grocery shop). The recipe is as follows: 1 pound ground pork, 1 red pepper, 1 cup broccoli, 4 green onions, 1 tablespoon oil, 1 1/2 cups water, 2 packs pork or oriental ramen noodles, 1 tablespoon parsley, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Cook the pork and veggies in oil. Then add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes. I have gotten to the point where I do not measure the veggies. I just use up what I have. Tonight I used one crown of broccoli, two carrots, three mushrooms, some white onion, two stalks of celery, and a handful of green pepper frozen from my garden. I got thinking. Seeing as this recipe is really a guide and you can use whatever veggies you want, why can't I do the same with the meat? I didn't have ground pork so instead I substituted it with ground turkey. I have always used oriental flavor ramen (simply because it is my favorite) but you could probably use any flavor that you like. My son took one bite and said "oh mom, try it. It is delicious."

I wanted to make a dessert. I still had half a can of black beans (I used the other half in brownies yesterday). Remember how my kids fell in love with the cookie dough hummus from Chocolate Covered Katie's blog? Well, the Barefoot Baker took it one step further. She adjusted the recipe to come up with brownie batter dip. I changed a few ingredients and this is what I came up with. 1/2 can black beans (rinsed and drained), 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 tablespoon nutella, 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder, 1/2 tablespoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon local honey, and 1/8 cup milk. Put it all into a food processor until smooth. I topped it off with some shaved chocolate and served it with cinnamon graham crackers. If it looks like chocolate and tastes like chocolate, they won't ask what it is made out of. I made it while the kids were at school and when I sampled a bite I couldn't believe how much I loved it. I wanted to eat the whole bowl but I controlled myself and put it into the fridge to wait until the kids were home. After dinner, I set the plate in front of the kids and then had to take a phone call (my hubby is working long hours again and called from work). I was only out of the room for a few minutes. And when I came back.....the brownie hummus was gone! Noooooooo! Ha. I'm glad the kids liked it (they called it amazing) but man, I wish I had another can of black beans in the cupboard.

2 comments:

  1. Haha! I totally ate it all right away too when I made it. Glad it was a hit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the recipe. I'm excited to look through others that you have posted!

    ReplyDelete