Sunday, February 24, 2013

Keep whining!

February 24, 2013

My daughter certainly got into the challenge spirit with breakfast this morning. She took "breakfast taco" to a whole new level. She took a banana, honey, and peanut butter and put it all inside of a leftover hard taco shell. Ha.

We went skiing today so it was the perfect day to use the slow cooker. Dinner will taste like I cooked all day but instead I get to enjoy the day with my family. My hubby seared a local beef roast and put it into the slow cooker with some beef broth. I sauteed some onion and garlic in the pan he has used for the beef. Then I added some local red wine to deglaze the pan. That deliciousness went on top of the roast. All we had to do once we got home was to cook up some rice and sautee some onion, garlic, and home canned green beans. My hubby decided to have his roast with some leftover egg noodles instead of the rice. Wohoo! Use up those leftovers! The roast turned out great. I got the inspiration for adding red wine from when I made beef ragu a couple of weeks ago. It really adds a ton of flavor and it goes so well with beef. I may need to splash some wine into more of our recipes!

I wanted to try a recipe I found on the blog Natasha's Kitchen. She made a dessert called raspberry pretzel jello. I'm in at raspberry. First is a crust made out of crushed pretzels, sugar, and butter. Bake it and let it cool. Next is a layer of cream cheese, sugar, and cool whip. Top it with raspberries and raspberry jello. The kids LOVED this. They had seconds but I had to say no when they asked for thirds. Ha. I really liked the cream cheese and jello layers. I think I prefer a different crust though. I may combine this recipe with my mom's recipe for something similar. She makes it with a flour/butter/sugar crust (but doesn't have the cream cheese layer). Oooooh, that or graham cracker crust. Yum! My hubby said he would prefer it with a graham cracker crust too.

No comments:

Post a Comment