Sunday, February 10, 2013

When two desserts collide

February 10, 2013

I sure did get off easy this weekend. We had a baby shower to go to today. It was a late lunch/early dinner. The kids called it "lunner". Ha. We had chicken wings with celery, sandwiches with ham, turkey, provolone, and swiss, and pasta salad with tomatoes, cucumbers, and cheese. Of course the kids washed theirs down with some cake!

After we got home, we decided that we really weren't going to be hungry for dinner. We settled on just making a snack. Surprise, surprise. The kids wanted hummus again. Ha. I made my version of Chocolate Covered Katie's cookie dough hummus recipe. Her version calls for 2/3 cup of brown sugar. Since I started making it, I have only used 1/3 cup and it has been plenty sweet. Well tonight I wanted to try to make this dip a little bit healthier. Plus, we have been fighting colds again and I'm slowly but surely starting to believe in the power of local honey for healing. My daughter helped me make up our hummus and we agreed that we should try using honey for half the amount and brown sugar for the other half (to equal 1/3 cup together). We tasted a bite and thought there really wasn't a difference from the previous times that I have made it. Yay! Next time I think I may try to just use honey. Katie's recipe calls for 1/3 cup chocolate chips; however, I just chop up plain candy bars. I always seem to have those leftover from making s'mores or from the kids candy. I stopped measuring and just eyeball how much chocolate we like in it but I think the first time I measured and it was more like 2/3 cup of chocolate pieces.

I grabbed the leftover brownie hummus dip out of the fridge and set it out with our cookie dough hummus. There was only a few spoonfuls left of the brownie dip. My son came up with an idea. He asked if he could dip his cracker into the cookie dough and then dip it into the brownie. Sure. Oh. My. Goodness! My son is the smartest!! What is better than cookie dough? What is better than brownie? Cookie dough brownie of course! I am hoping to buy a big food processor in the next couple of weeks and my first agenda will be to make a big batch of cookie dough brownie dip.

No comments:

Post a Comment