Saturday, February 23, 2013

Yeast-erday's purchase

February 23, 2013

How do I get us to eat at home on the first Saturday that my hubby is back with us? Tacos of course! We made taco meat with some local grass fed beef. We topped the tacos with onion, lettuce, mexican cheese, homemade salsa, tomatoes, black olives (part of a can leftover in the fridge), and a mixture of avocado and sour cream.

I decided to make a bean/taco dip too. I used my new food processor to blend pink beans with a few spoons of sour cream. I added in taco seasoning, ground flaxseed, and some nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is another new healthy item that I wanted to try. I bought it yesterday at a health food store but forgot to try it until today. It comes in a canister and you can sprinkle on food. It tastes kind of like cheddar cheese. The bean mixture went on the bottom. Next was a layer of avocado and sour cream blended together. Oh wow. I love love love avocado and sour cream. I may need to find more recipes to put that in. I topped the avocado layer with some chopped spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, and mexican cheese. My hubby said he liked the dip but prefers it the way we used to make it (the bottom layer was half sour cream and half cream cheese). I think next time I will do half beans and half cream cheese to ease him into this. Ha. As for the nutritional yeast, we couldn't really taste it in this dish. Which, I guess is good. You get all the healthy benefits, but you don't have to taste the "healthy" item. I will probably try it in some soup or pasta next to help make it creamy.

We felt like seafood for dinner. My hubby grilled up some clams and tuna. I made a side of quinoa with corn (frozen from our farmers market). I sauteed some onion and garlic with it. I also added some green onion (from my garden) too.

No comments:

Post a Comment