Sunday, February 3, 2013

Super bowl snacks

February 3, 2013

I needed a snack for us this afternoon. I had eggs that had to be used up. Deviled eggs it is. But how about making them a little different than usual. A little back information about me.... mayonnaise (or miracle whip) grosses me out. I can only eat it in small doses. I wanted to make deviled eggs but without using mayo. I had a nice and ripe avocado. Perfect! I added the egg yolk, avocado, salt, pepper, mustard, and some homemade (from my sister) relish. After filling the egg white, I added a little cayenne pepper on top. Yum! They turned out so creamy that you do not miss the mayo at all. I think I am going to make avocado eggs whenever I make deviled eggs now. They would be cool for St. Patrick's day too!

I wanted just a simple dinner because on Super Bowl Sunday, the real star is snacks! I made a pot of chili. My hubby had to work again so it was just me and the kids. My son only wanted a few bites of chili and he wanted a hotdog weiner dog again. I decided to just make half a batch so that I didn't have too many leftovers. I used half a pound of local ground beef (put the other half in the fridge to do something else with tomorrow), a handful of green pepper (frozen from my garden), celery, onion, a jar of my home canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, pink beans, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Topped it off with some mexican cheese and sour cream.

A snack that we used to make all the time but haven't in awhile is taco dip. Yet again, I decided to only make a partial batch. You beat together sour cream and cream cheese. Normally, we use 8 ounces of sour cream and 4 ounces of cream cheese. Then mix in some taco seasoning. Remember a few days ago I made taco quinoa? Well, I still had part of that taco seasoning packet. Yay! Spread your mixture onto a plate and then top with chopped onions, lettuce, tomatoes, and mexican cheese. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips. As I was grabbing the ingredients out of the fridge, I thought oh no, I don't have lettuce. But then I realized that I still had a partial bag of the lettuce that comes with veggies already in it. I didn't want to put carrots/ purple cabbage/ radishes in my dip so I picked those out....Then asked the kids if they wanted some veggies with ranch. They did! So they snacked on the veggies while I put the dip together.

No comments:

Post a Comment