Monday, February 11, 2013

Stovetop Scalloped Potatoes

February 11, 2013

Due to our negotiations yesterday, both kids packed their lunches today. My son brought a sandwich. My daughter brought the leftover portion of sub. Normally, if they pack leftovers (or a sandwich because it uses up bread which we always have a ton of) then they are allowed to pack a treat. They get to pick out a small candy from the candy stash. That's right. I take their halloween candy, valentines candy, easter candy, birthday party pinata candy, any candy and all candy stays in the kitchen cupboard and they have to ask for a piece. This morning I asked my son what he wanted for his treat and he said....."can I just bring hummus?" I said, well you know that would be your treat then right (seeing as there is chocolate pieces in it)? His reply, "yep". Oh wow. I can't believe that just happened. He bypassed a sucker. He gave up his favorite mini candy bar- a kit kat. He didn't pick the candy coated almonds. He didn't ask for taffy. Nope. My son wanted the cookie dough hummus. You got it!!

A couple of weeks ago, I made ham, potatoes, and green beans in the slow cooker. While getting the ingredients ready, I figured that the ham was too big. I cut up a container of ham and stuck it in the freezer. Today was the day to use up the ham. I wanted scalloped potatoes but it seemed that every recipe I looked up needed to bake for an hour to an hour and a half. I'm too impatient for that. Ha. I sauteed up some onion in butter and olive oil. I added two potatoes that were thinly sliced. I seasoned them with salt, pepper, and adobo. I covered them and sauteed them until they got mostly tender (stirring occasionally). I added the diced ham, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese. Hmmmmm. It didn't look like enough cheese so I added another cup. I let it simmer for awhile until the milk and cheese came together. The potatoes still needed a few minutes so I added another oh, maybe 1/4 cup of milk. Simmered for a few more minutes and then voila. Super easy scalloped potatoes.

I served it with a side of steamed broccoli. Don't forget to peel the broccoli stems (discard the end couple of inches) and steam those up too. This was the second time I have used the stems. My daughter ate around them and then asked "do I have to eat the stems too?" I had her eat one and then asked her what it tasted like. She shrugged and said "broccoli". Ha. So yes, she had to eat the stems too.

No comments:

Post a Comment