Saturday, February 16, 2013

Smoothie Surprise

February 16, 2013

I told the kids that if they were good today that I would make them a surprise. I told them that they had to wait in their bedrooms while I made it so that I could surprise them. Ok, or so I could "hide" some ingredients. Ha. I started out by throwing a handful of spinach and some milk into the food processor (have I mentioned how much I love my new toy?!). After that was blended, I added in a banana and about half a carton of strawberries. Oh! A side note: I have been peeling bananas wrong my entire life. Do you peel them by starting at the end with the stem that holds the bunch together? Flip it around! Pinch the other end, peel it back, and you have the perfect banana without all the stringy pieces! Smoothies are the perfect way to use up fruit that is slightly over ripe. Strawberries have a small soft spot? Throw it in! Ok, back to my smoothie.

 I blended again. Next, I grabbed some blueberries out of the freezer (from the farmers market) and a handful of ice cubes. I blended and also added some local honey. Maybe about a tablespoon. Then I got to thinking. Hmmmm. I bought flaxseed this week. I pulled out my old food chopper and dumped in some flaxseed. I ground it up and then added two tablespoons to the smoothie. Served it up in fancy glasses and called the kids in for their surprise. They loved it. I had one too and I was surprised that you could not taste the spinach or flaxseed. I think the trick is that you have to add enough strawberries so that the smoothie isn't green. I think the color would have turned us off even if you couldn't taste it.

After scrubbing some grout today, I really didn't feel like cooking. Don't judge me on the following list of ingredients. I grabbed a cup of mahatma rice and poured it into a cake pan. The recipe I was browsing had water listed but I wanted to use chicken broth instead. Ugh. I'm out of chicken broth. Next best thing is to boil some water and add some chicken bouillon. I mixed the bouillon water with a can of cream of chicken soup. Hang on, it gets better. Then I stirred in an envelope of onion soup mix. Yesterday I had only used 2 of the 3 chicken breasts in the package. Today I took the last one and cut it into thirds. The chicken went on top the rice and then the soup mix went over the chicken. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Then I stirred in some frozen peas and baked for another 10 minutes. I'm sure we are completely loaded down with sodium after that meal. Oh well. I guess it's a good thing I started us off so healthy with our smoothies!

No comments:

Post a Comment