Thursday, February 7, 2013

Snack people

February 7, 2013

Both of the kids packed their lunches today. Yay for using up leftovers! I also did my part and had leftover lemon chicken soup. Yum.

I had a rough evening with the kids yesterday (their bickering and not behaving the way that they should) so I wanted to try to do something to get us started on the right foot when they got home from school today. I outdid myself. I found ideas on Pinterest to make fun snack foods. I saw one idea that I liked and then I added a few things to it and changed a few items. This is what I came up with....

Snack lady. She consisted of a "WhoNu?" cookie (they are cookies that are actually healthy; they have fiber, calcium, vitamin d, and vitamin c in them) for a head. She had craisin eyes, a vanilla yogurt chip nose, cheerio mouth, and pretzel ears. She had a graham cracker body. Her arms were carrots finished off with grape hands. Her legs and feet were celery. And what snack lady would be complete without clothes? She wore a cucumber tshirt and skirt. She was served with one of my daughter's favorite juices: peach mango juice. In a fancy glass of course. Snack man was not to be outdone by snack lady. Although he had the same body and body parts, his clothing was a tshirt and shorts. He was served with my son's favorite juice: apple juice. My kids LOVED their snack people. They screamed when they saw them. My son didn't want to eat it. He played with it and ate so slowly so that he could enjoy it. I told him not to worry that I could make snack people again. Ha.

I had some rotisserie chicken leftover. Hmmm what to make? I settled on chicken stroganoff. Instead of using a can of cream of chicken soup, I made my own. I sauteed up some onions and mushrooms in butter and olive oil. I added some white wine. Next, I added equal parts of chicken broth and milk. I thickened the sauce with some corn starch and added the chicken. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and thyme from my garden. At the end, I turned off the heat and stirred in two heaping spoons of sour cream. I served it with egg noodles. For our veggie, I sauteed up some onions and then added a jar of our home canned green beans. A little salt and pepper and they were all set. My daughter said that she loved the noodles and that it was so cheesy and like macaroni and cheese. Um, ok. Ha. My son said that he thought it was really good. I think that next time I need to find one more seasoning for it. Seemed like it was missing a little something.

No comments:

Post a Comment