Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It's beta (better) with feta

February 19, 2013

We were invited to a friend's house for lunch today. We filled up on sandwiches, chips, homemade pickles, and inside out carrot cake muffins. Yum! After hanging out and snacking for the afternoon, we finally got home just in time for dinner.

I forgot to take anything out of the freezer before we left for the day. Then once we got home we had gotten about 5 inches of snow/ice so I had to shovel in front of the garage/door/sidewalk before I headed in. The kids were already complaining that they wanted to snack so I knew I had to find a quick dinner.

I saw 6 cheese tortellini in the freezer. They only take about 4 minutes to cook. Ok, what else? I grabbed a bag of corn (frozen from the farmers market) and thawed it in some running water. After the tortellini was cooked, I took them out of the pot and drained the water. Then I put about two tablespoons of butter into the pot and once it was melted I added about two tablespoons of flour. I cooked it for a few minutes and then added some milk. I didn't measure, maybe about a cup. I stirred to combine the flour mixture and milk. 6 cheese tortellini can only be made better if you add a 7th cheese, right? I looked for some cheese and saw I had a container of feta. There was only a little bit left but I figured it would be fine. Once again, I didn't measure, but maybe it was about 1/3 cup. I looked over and saw my corn. Hmmmm. I bet that would be good stirred right into the sauce. I combined the corn, sauce, and tortellini. I topped it with green onions (frozen from my garden). Voila. Dinner is cooked and served within about 15-20 minutes. I was a little nervous about the feta sauce. I've never attempted to use feta like that. Oh. My. Goodness. It was awesome! My son loved it too. He asked if I could make it one day so he can pack it for his lunch. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment