Thursday, February 21, 2013

Shepard's pie-sta; grocery savings

February 21, 2013

I pulled the leftovers out of the fridge for lunch and my daughter said "uh we always have leftovers for lunch". I decided to give them a break seeing as they have been so good about the challenge. We had macaroni and cheese instead.

Today was grocery shopping day! My pre-challenge weekly average was $175 at the commissary. Today I spent $26.67 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $92.64 on food. Impulse items were higher than normal (during the challenge, but way under normal for pre-challenge) at $4.19. I saw there was a box of 28 mini granola bars on clearance (because they were valentine theme) for $1.55. My daughter asked for a day old loaf of italian bread that was on clearance for 85 cents. Also, I decided to buy sweet tea for my hubby. He comes home today after being out of state for 6 1/2 weeks. He deserves a splurge. Ha. I spent $10.53 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons... oh wait. I had a pretty good coupon week. I saved $15 with coupons! Ok, so my total out of pocket today was $125.70. Not too bad seeing as I bought my hubby a bunch of his favorites. This is a savings of $49.30 at the commissary. The kids both packed lunch on Thursday which saved $4. Seeing as they have this entire week off of school, they didn't have the opportunity to save much lunch money. However, they have been eating a lot of leftovers at home. My pre-challenge weekly average at restaurants was $80. This week I spent $0. Yay! This brings my weekly savings to $133.30. My grand total savings is $2,268.02 in 127 days!! This challenge has gotten easier with each passing week. Have you tried cutting back?

We were in the truck getting ready to leave the commissary parking lot and my daughter looked in a bag and saw the spinach. Her reply "ew spinach". I laughed and said "do you have any idea how many recipes I have put it in during the past few weeks"? She asked which ones. I figured I may as well let the cat out of the bag. Smoothies. Smoothies. More smoothies. Remember that lemon chicken soup that you said is now your favorite soup in the world? Yep, that soup. Let's just stop there. Ha.

I wanted to use something up from the freezer for dinner. I had a container of leftover shepard's pie filling. Hmmmm. That is kind of like hamburger gravy. I grabbed a bag of egg noodles. Uh oh. There wasn't enough left. I grabbed a different bag and just added some a few minutes into the cooking time (they were smaller and didn't take as long to cook). Once the pasta was cooked, I topped it with the shepard's pie filling. Voila. Shepard's pie-sta. I served it with a slice of the loaf of italian bread that my daughter picked out. Yum! Made me kind of sad that there isn't any leftovers for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment