Thursday, February 28, 2013

A quick meal; grocery savings

February 28, 2013

Once you see the pictures from this morning, you will know that my hubby was around for breakfast. He made my son some french toast with homemade syrup from my father in law. He made my daughter pancakes with banana in them along with some bacon.

My hubby packed a sandwich for lunch. My son also packed a sandwich. I had some of the leftover ragu. Still yum! Then it was time for me to hit up the commissary.

My pre-challenge weekly average was $175. Today I spent $40.20 on toiletries and cleaners. There were quite a few items that I figured I better grab this week so that I wouldn't run out (dishwasher soap, laundry soap, batteries, etc). I spent $104.63 on food. Ugh. However, I got a 9 1/2 pound pork roast to make pulled pork which costed $11.45. That monster roast will make many meals for us. I love pulled pork and it freezes perfectly. I spent $7.98 on gossip magazines. I had a good coupon day and saved $20 with coupons! There were quite a few coupons that were going to expire after today so I ended up buying a few things that I didn't really need this week but figured that I may as well buy them now with the savings instead of paying full price next week. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $140.77 out of pocket. That is a savings of $34.23. Ugh. Disappointing. Our restaurant weekly average is $80. This week we went out to lunch twice and spent $44.05. This is a savings of $35.95. The kiddos packed lunches this week and saved $10. Our savings for this week is $80.18. Our grand total savings is $2,348.20 in 134 days. I feel a little defeated after today but I just need to look in the cupboards and see that I actually did get quite a bit for my money.

I totally forgot that there was a circus tonight. After we got homework done, we rushed to get there in time. By the time we got home, it was 7 p.m. Yikes, an hour to cook, eat dinner, have the kids shower, and tuck them into bed. This calls for a quick meal. I chopped up some romaine lettuce, carrots, mushrooms, cucumber, and broccoli. We topped our salad with rotisserie chicken. I put feta cheese and ranch on mine. My hubby put buffalo sauce on his chicken and used a buffalo blue cheese dressing with blue cheese crumbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment