Saturday, December 15, 2012

Double restaurant temptation

December 15, 2012

Here we are. Saturday. Our plans were to do a little Christmas shopping and ice skating. Normally, we would get ready and then leave the house immediately. We would get to town and go out for lunch before we shopped. Unbelievably, and possibly for the first time in 14 years, we ate at home prior to going shopping! The impulse buy of $1.80 kaiser rolls paid off. My hubby grilled up some local beef cheeseburgers and topped them off with sauteed onions and mushrooms, lettuce, ketchup, and mustard. Yum!

After shopping and ice skating, we were all hungry. Once again, normally if we were out and about and got hungry we would go out. Nope. Not today. We came home and decided to make a snack. Well, the snack was so delicious it turned into dinner for hubby and me. We made jalapeno popper dip. Just imagine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, miracle whip (ugh, that part grossed me out. I almost didn't put it in...but I did), green onions, jalapenos (frozen from my garden), and bacon. The topping called for crushed crackers. The recipe was used with ritz. However, I had some club crackers that were open. We used them instead. Mix the crushed crackers with some melted butter and parmesan cheese. Well, I didn't have parmesan. Instead I used freshly grated romano cheese. Yep, hubby and I stuffed up so much that we didn't want any dinner.

I told the kids to pick whatever they wanted. My daughter had a can of soup. My son wanted a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. He asked if he could have it in a fun shape. Sure. We cut out a Christmas tree. Who can have a Christmas tree without ornaments? Not our little guy. So he added sprinkles. Even the crust scraps were so cute that he scarfed it down.

Now for my favorite part of the day: almond roca time! My hubby made a 9x13 pan of it. Not sure how long that will last. I never thought I liked almond roca until he made it last year for Christmas. I couldn't get enough of it. Butter, sugar, almonds, and corn syrup make the crazy good bottom. The topping is milk chocolate and more almonds. I guess today is not the day to worry about my cholesterol. Oh wait. Maybe tomorrow I can convince my hubby to make my other favorite Christmas goody. Cholesterol will have to wait a few days. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment