Tuesday, December 18, 2012

No leftover left behind.

December 18, 2012

Today was a day to clean out the fridge. However, I did it a much different way than I used to before I started this challenge. We used to go through the fridge right before grocery shopping and throw out any old leftovers and any fruit/veggies that looked like it was past its prime. I go grocery shopping in two days so today I was on a mission: use up what I can that will otherwise be thrown out on Thursday.

I had a friend over for lunch today. I made us broiled sandwiches. I used club rolls, ham, (my friend had lemon pepper chicken), a homemade pickle, and provolone cheese. Stick it under the broiler until the cheese is melty and gooey. I had a small container leftover of my homemade cauliflower soup. I split it up between us. She knows I love her if I shared that soup! Ha.

When dinner time rolled around, I asked my hubby if teriyaki pork tenderloin sounded ok seeing as it was the only meat still in the fridge that we needed to cook up. Can you believe his reply was "how about we just have leftovers?" WHAT?!! So we had leftover leg of lamb with my delicious sauce. There is still sauce left so I think I will smother my pork tenderloin tomorrow. My hubby also had one of the leftover crab cakes. I cut up a cantelope and served it with strawberry cream cheese dip. Mmmmm I could eat that whole container. I saw we had a bag of spinach that should be used. What to do with it? There was one more acorn squash from my garden. I baked it for about 45 minutes until it was cooked enough to easily come out of its skin. I sauteed some onion and mushrooms and then added spinach and acorn squash. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, adobo, garlic powder, crushed garlic, cayenne pepper, thyme from my garden, white wine, and a splash of chicken broth that I had leftover in the fridge. I asked my daughter to get the romano cheese out of the fridge and she held up a bag and asked "this?". It was a tiny little piece of parmesan that had gotten lost in the cheese drawer. So I used that up instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment