Thursday, December 27, 2012

Use it or lose it.

December 27, 2012

Snow blowing 14 inches of snow makes you work up quite the appetite! For lunch, my hubby broiled us some leftover ham and provolone cheese sandwiches. I also had a small bowl of leftover ham chowder. I think the chowder got better over night. Bursting with so much flavor!

We decided on cheeseburgers for dinner made with local beef. I looked around to see what I could make to go with them. I had one big sweet potato. Mmmmm homemade sweet potato fries. I just peeled, and then sliced the potato into fry size pieces. I tossed them in olive oil, salt, and pepper and baked them at 450 for about 15 minutes, flipped, then another 15 minutes. I wasn't sure if the kids would eat them (just means more for hubby, me, and our friend. wohoo!). My hubby dug around in the bottom of the freezer and found about a cup of regular fries for the kids. Perfect, we'll use those up too. What else? I had celery, tomato, and mini cucumbers from last week that needed to be used up. I also had a small amount of black olives leftover from our Christmas dinner. I chopped everything up along with some onion. I picked a box of pasta out of my never-ending stash. I had a bottle of balsamic vinaigrette dressing that needed to get used up soon. So far so good. Ah, how about some feta cheese? Dinner was delicious.

A good day of using up leftovers and items that needed to be used soon or would otherwise be thrown out.

No comments:

Post a Comment