Sunday, December 9, 2012

Holy guacamole!

December 9, 2012

We had some errands to run late this afternoon. We drove by one of our favorite local restaurants. Ugh. All of us were getting hungry. The pre-challenge us would have just stopped in for an early dinner. Stay strong! Drive home! Wohoo, we did it!

I had a ton of leftover chicken in the fridge. There was chicken thighs from last night (both spicy mango and teriyaki marinated). There was also a rotisserie chicken that I bought for lunches but we hadn't gotten to yet.

My daughter decided to write up a menu and to play chef tonight (tomorrow is my son's turn). I found a recipe for chicken tortilla soup. With a few alterations, this recipe became our own. I chopped up the chicken thighs. In a soup pot, my daughter sauteed up some onions and garlic in some olive oil. Next she added in the chopped chicken. She put in a bag of our local corn, a jar of our home canned tomatoes, and 2 1/2 cans of chicken broth. The recipe called for chili powder, salt, and pepper. She also added some cumin. And by some, I mean a lot. When you think you may have put in too much cumin, give it another couple shakes. The cumin is what really makes this soup. Top off your bowl with mexican cheese (recipe called for monterey jack cheese but I didn't have any), crushed tortilla chips, avocado, and sour cream. Surprisingly, the flavors of the marinades didn't even come through. I bet we could make this with any leftover chicken. This is heaven in a bowl. It is the deliciousness of a taco, but in comfort soup form. Score!

Next, I chopped up the rotisserie chicken. She put it in a pan with some taco seasoning and water and just simmered it. For taco toppings, she used the leftover salad from last night. Yes this means there was romaine lettuce as well as carrots, cucumbers, and mushrooms that made their way into some of our tacos. I found a part of a tomato in the fridge and cut a little of it up. Of course there was also sour cream, mexican cheese, homemade salsa, taco sauce, avocado, and guacamole. Mhmm I put guacamole on my avocado. I mean really, can you ever have too much avocado?! I found a container of black olives in the fridge. There was only a handful left from when we made homemade pizza. In they went.

The kiddos had leftover cookies. I need to pace myself but don't worry. I'll make my way to the leftover strawberry brownies at some point. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment