Monday, December 17, 2012

For the best food, keep it local.

December 17, 2012

Kiddos had school today so hubby and I decided to do a lunch date. We went to a local Hawaiian place. The food takes me back to when we lived in Hawaii. Delicious! Ya know, one of those meals where you eat until it hurts. I had kalua pork and cabbage with sides of white rice and macaroni salad. Hubby had chicken katsu with the same sides. So far we aren't doing too bad with restaurants this week. We had one lunch date where I had mine for free, he took the kids to McDonald's (we ate at home though), and then today's lunch date all for around $35.

Finally. Time for dinner. On the menu, local leg of lamb. Yay! I seasoned it with salt, pepper, adobo (have you went out and bought that yet?), garlic powder, crushed garlic, and thyme from my garden. I put sliced onion, beef broth, and more thyme in the bottom of the roaster pan. 450 degree oven for 30 minutes then turn the oven down to 350 for 30 minutes. Ours was a larger leg this time so it took longer than that. I think we cooked it for an additional 40 minutes. Just keep an eye on it. When the lamb was resting, I added local red wine to the pan and then thickened it up with some flour. Yum, yum, yum! By the way, when you have a partial bottle of wine that goes flat or you are about to dump out....don't. Keep it in the fridge and you will have excellent tasting sauces. It doesn't matter if the wine doesn't taste great for drinking anymore, it will still create the perfect sauce. We weren't too hungry so hubby and I just had some of the leftover broccoli/romaine/ramen noodle salad from yesterday. I used my apple slicer and served it to the kids with blueberry yogurt to dip it in. Simply because the yogurt was going to expire soon. Just don't tell the kids that and they will think they get to have a fun dip.

And now, time to use up more leftovers: dessert. Almond roca? Rolo bars? Chocolate covered pretzels?   Um, yes please!

No comments:

Post a Comment