Wednesday, December 26, 2012

From stocking up (groceries) to stock pot (ham chowder)

December 26, 2012

We started off our day by having ham and cheese omelets with some of our leftover ham. I looked at the weather forecast and saw that we have a big winter storm heading our way. We decided to get groceries today so that we won't be out in the storm tomorrow. Before we headed to the store, we ate leftovers for lunch: ham, au gratin potatoes, corn, green bean casserole, and bacon wrapped asparagus.

My pre-challenge weekly average at the commissary was $175. I spent $29.11 on toiletries/cleaners today (a little over $10 of that was batteries). I spent $88.01 on food. I made a major score today. I have been looking for pumpkin spice pudding for probably about six weeks. I finally found it today. Wohoo! Now if I could just remember what the recipes were that I needed it for. Ha. I spent $8.71 on magazines. I still have one that I have not read that I bought last week, so I made myself only buy 3 today (instead of my usual 4). Now, on to the best category. Impulse items. I spent $0 on impulse items today!! And that was with my family with me. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $124.36 out of pocket today. I saved $50.64 at the commissary this week.

My hubby and I went out to lunch at our friend's restaurant and spent $33.69. Our pre-challenge average was $80 at restaurants per week, so that makes our savings $46.31 this week. Wow, and that is with my hubby on vacation. We rock! My kids packed lunch (sandwich and leftover clam chowder) on Friday so that saved $4. This brings our total savings for the week to $100.95! During Christmas week! This brings our grand total savings to $1,213.30 in 70 days!!

After getting groceries, we needed a snack. My hubby made some queso dip. He shredded some monterrey jack cheese, added half and half, onion, and some jalapenos from my garden (frozen) and thickened it up with some corn starch. Yum!!

On to dinner. I really didn't feel like having straight leftovers again. What could I make? Ham chowder. I simmered the ham bone in some water for hmmm maybe an hour. Meanwhile, I sauteed some onions and celery then set them to the side. I made a little roux of butter and flour and stirred in some milk. Do I really need to peel more potatoes to add? Nope. I chopped up my leftover au gratin potatoes. My hubby then took the rest of the meat off of the bone. He removed most of the ham flavored water (which will be frozen to make another pot of soup with later on). To the little bit of water left in the pot, I added the ham, au gratin potatoes, leftover corn, milk and roux, salt, and pepper. I took another look in the fridge. Hmmm is that all that I can put in the chowder? Nope. There was a container of leftover steamed broccoli from a few days ago. In the pot it went. I used up the end of a bag of cheddar cheese. The result?? My hubby liked the chowder. This says a lot because he really isn't a big fan of soup. Yay!! What else can I put together? Ah, there were blackberries and raspberries that needed to be used up. I topped them with a little strawberry fruit dip. The kids got a package in the mail today with some very special sprinkles. What better way to eat fruit than to top it off with some sprinkles! Today was definitely a win kind of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment