Saturday, December 22, 2012

Snowed in with some salmon

December 22, 2012

We had a change of plans today. A winter storm kept us home. What does that mean for lunch? Give some leftovers a lift. My hubby made us some broiler sandwiches out of the leftover chicken that he made yesterday. Melted some provolone and we were good to go.

We decided to have a movie afternoon with the kids. You can't have a movie without snacks. My daughter made some popcorn while my hubby made some smoked salmon dip. He added chopped onion and celery, sour cream, chive cream cheese, homemade onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked salmon. I was about to grab a box of crackers when I remembered that we probably had a package (or two or three) already open. Sure enough, I found several bags in the cupboard of partial packs of crackers. Perfect. We used up a couple of those.

For dinner, my hubby baked some salmon. He kept it simple with just some kosher salt, pepper, and old bay. I found a recipe for a side dish. It had orzo pasta, peas, bacon, mint, and pecorino. I didn't have orzo or pecorino so I looked for some substitutes. I have 6 partial boxes of different shaped pasta and 5 new boxes of even more different shapes. Seriously? How have I gotten over two months into this challenge and I still have so much pasta? I had a box of ditalini. I figured that would be a good substitute seeing as it is a pretty small pasta too. I cooked the ditalini and added in some frozen peas during the last few minutes of cooking. After draining, I added some cooked bacon, salt, pepper, and I substituted romano cheese. It didn't seem quite right so I added a small amount of butter and threw in a little bit of feta cheese too. It was good but I think it was still missing something. Maybe next time we will add chopped tomatoes. Oh, and we forgot to put the mint in. Oops.

Today was the day to make my brother in law's cookies. You put peanut butter in between two ritz crackers and then dip them in melted chocolate. Yum! My daughter ate one and said "ooooh, it's like a reese's peanut butter cup". It is like a reese's but with the crunch of a kit kat. And that equals a win-win.  It is such an easy recipe and I like that it is out of ingredients that I usually have on hand. My daughter is a peanut butter addict so I always have that. I usually have a few different types of crackers opened. I wonder how it would be if I substituted ritz and used club crackers? Ahhh, maybe next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment