Sunday, March 10, 2013

Campfire lunch

March 10, 2013

We were starting to have a lazy Sunday and tried to think of something to do. Then it hit me. Spring fever. I wanted to be outside. Even though we still have snow and ice on the ground, I wanted pudgy pies. What is that, you ask? Imagine a comfort food from your childhood. Imagine a golden grilled cheese. Except, it's not a grilled cheese. It is filled with pizza. You butter the pudgy pie cooker (a metal sandwich cooker used in a camp fire). Next you build a pizza sandwich. We used homemade pizza sauce, onion, mushrooms, black olives, pepperoni, and a five italian cheese blend. The cooker seals up the edges as it is cooked to a golden brown. During the summer, we also make dessert pudgy pies. They are filled with pie filling and then dusted with powdered sugar. These things are so simple, yet so incredibly delicious! A big thank you to my hubby and son for shoveling off our patio and building us a fire!

I wanted to give a new recipe a try. I was pretty skeptical. My son has a new obsession: cinnamon toast crunch cereal. I gave it a whirl today. Little did I know about the difference between wax paper and parchment paper. Ugh. Wax paper totally stuck to most of it so I ended up with about 1/3 of the cereal that I should have. The result? We agreed that the next batch needs more sugar in the batter. My daughter loved it and said she would eat it if I made it again. My son said he liked it, wanted more sugar, and would like it to get soft once it sits in his milk for a bit. I think after I buy some parchment paper that I will give it another try. Maybe if I bake it for less time, it will be the right texture for him.

We had planned on having salmon for dinner. However, once it was time to cook, my hubby didn't feel like cooking and asked if we could have leftovers. Um, what?! Ha. I told him that we could do half leftovers. We pulled out the leftover meatloaves, sweet potatoes, and corn. There wasn't too much of the vegetables left so I also wanted to make something else. I wanted some spinach. I sauteed some onion and garlic and then added spinach and white wine and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and adobo. For our starchy side, I pulled out an old favorite recipe. I've been using it for many years but can't remember where I found it (probably Taste of Home). I sauteed some onions and garlic in butter and olive oil. Then I stirred in 2/3 cup orzo pasta (I've made it with other small shaped pasta), 1/2 can of beef broth, 1/2 cup water, two large mushrooms chopped, 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, salt, and pepper. After simmering for about 15 minutes, you have the most flavorful mushroom pilaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment