Thursday, March 21, 2013

Three fold awesomeness

March 21, 2013

My daughter packed her chicken nuggets, applesauce, and string cheese today. My son packed ham, cheese, crackers, and applesauce. My hubby packed ham sandwiches. I wasn't too hungry so I just had some rosemary ham wrapped around string cheese. Ok, so maybe I wasn't too hungry because I filled my face with a donut.

I've had spring fever lately. I can't wait until we can sit on our patio and look at my gorgeous garden. For now, we have over 6 new inches of snow on the ground. I won't let that stop me from having a "spring" dinner. My son requested that I buy chicken drumsticks this week. The reason? He wanted to eat chicken and hang on to the bone. Ha.

I sliced up some onion, mushrooms, and zucchini. I tossed them in olive oil, salt, and adobo. I stuck them in a grill basket. My hubby seasoned the chicken drumsticks with salt and a mix he made for when we make mojito chicken (a winner recipe from Guy Fieri on Food Network). I think the mix is a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, oregano, kosher salt, pepper, and paprika. My hubby took the zucchini mix and the chicken and headed outside to the grill....In wind chill of 16 degrees! Thank you hubby!

I had to figure out one more side dish for dinner. Aha! My aunt had mentioned a recipe for homemade salad dressing. It involved avocados so you know I'm in. Her recipe is as follows. In a food processor, combine an avocado, 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 cloves of garlic, and salt. We sampled it and decided to add to it. I added some basil, pepper, cayenne pepper, and oregano. The oregano really added to the flavor. I made a bed of spinach, romaine lettuce, carrots, red onion, mushrooms, and tomatoes.

What awesomeness happened during dinner? There was three fold awesomeness. First, as we were doctoring up the salad dressing, my daughter was sitting on the counter and calling off seasonings for me. As she grabbed seasonings, she noticed the bottle of nutritional yeast. She asked if she could eat some "cheese". Um, yes. She sprinkled some in her hand to snack on. Second, my daughter was in the middle of her salad and said "this lettuce is good". I had her show me what "lettuce" she was referring to. Yep, you got it. It was the spinach. Ha! Third, after my daughter finished eating all of her dinner, she continued to pour pile after pile of nutritional yeast onto her plate. Sigh. Mom's job is done. Well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment