Thursday, March 7, 2013

Double yellow cupcakes

March 7, 2013

Today was a good day for our challenge. The kids both packed their lunches: sandwiches, yogurt, and leftover fruit salad. My hubby packed his breakfast (banana and some mango) and lunch (the rest of last week's ham as a sandwich and an orange). I looked in the fridge to see what I should do for lunch. There was still a little bit of leftover pulled pork. Ooooh, I could have it on a club roll. Ugh. No club rolls. I saw we have hotdog buns and hamburger buns. I figured that the boys wouldn't eat all of the hotdog buns this week, plus they will expire before the hamburger buns will. So my choice was made for me. How do I make this lunch more appetizing seeing as I need to use a hotdog bun? Ah, by making it into one of my favorite lunches. I put the pulled pork on the bun. Next, I added some homemade pickles and then topped it with muenster (melt-ster as my daughter called it) cheese. Under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese was gooey (yes, such a technical cooking term), and my lunch was ready. Yum!

We decided to do tilapia tacos for dinner. I made a quick cucumber topping of cucumber, onion, tomato, cilantro, salt, and pepper. We also topped the tacos with mexican cheese, lettuce, and some of the leftover avocado/sour cream mixture. I couldn't figure out what side dish would go well with the tacos so I just did a side salad at the last minute. I chopped romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato, mushrooms, and carrots. Ha, my daughter is reading this over my shoulder as I type and she said "oh, so that was spinach you made me eat". Ha. Yep. Tricky mom. We all really liked them. I think we may need to put some type of seafood taco on our menu each week.

Ok, time for dessert. Oh, who am I kidding. We had dessert after lunch. So now it is time for our second round of dessert. I wanted to make some cupcakes. I had a box mix for yellow cake. Let's start there. Hmmm. Yellow cake mix. That means I can hide something yellow, right? Next, I went to the freezer and grabbed a couple bags of yellow squash from my garden. After thawing them out, I put them in the food processor. I didn't want the kids to see any stringy pieces in the cupcakes so I made them more into a mash. I added 1 1/2 cups to the cupcake batter (made with 3 eggs and 1/2 cup oil). I also stirred in a little more than 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg. I still had leftover pumpkin frosting that I made a few days ago. It went perfectly with these cupcakes. My son took a bite and said "this is really really delicious". My daughter said "these are the most amazing cupcakes". I guess they should have figured out that I was up to tricks when I let them have one after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment