Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Garlic your plate clean

March 12, 2013

I woke up early this morning and hung out with my hubby while he got ready for work. He was trying to think of what to pack for lunch. He didn't want leftover chili. He didn't want a sandwich. I could tell I was losing him. He was leaning to the dark side....eating out. I asked if he wanted pulled pork because I could thaw some out real quick. Wohoo! He packed pulled pork, an apple, and a banana. Good thing my hubby packed lunch because neither kid wanted to today. I didn't really feel like leftovers either but went ahead and had leftover egg noodles and leftover pulled pork chili anyway.

I knew that my hubby wouldn't want a lot of the chili leftovers. He had two containers of his hot (habanero and ghost pepper) chili left. I decided to label one and throw it in the freezer. It will be a "new" meal for him maybe next week. That way he won't get burned out on it but it won't go to waste either. I also froze part of my chili. I also had some leftover mini meatloaves. Hmmmm. I know just what new meal I will make out of them (nope, not going to tell you now). I'll freeze them for a few days until I get to that dinner. When I stuck them in the freezer, I saw that there was still two pieces of lasagna. Perfect. I figured those would be temptations for my hubby and my daughter to pack lunches tomorrow. So out of the freezer came the lasagna.

We have kind of been on beef overload lately. Time for some fish. Dinner tonight is salmon. I asked my hubby to grill it up for us after my daughter seasoned it with kosher salt and old bay. I didn't really know what else I was going to make. I looked around in the fridge and saw that there was still half a bag of baby red potatoes. I've had them for awhile so I guess it is a night for potatoes. I boiled them whole until fork tender. My daughter wanted to help so I had her make the butter sauce for them. She combined a few tablespoons of butter with some minced garlic. She asked how much garlic to add. I said, oh maybe 1/3 of the spoon. She had a little more than that on her spoon and asked if it was ok. I said sure because we love garlic. She melted the butter and then sprinkled in some salt, pepper, and parsley. After the potatoes were cooked, I poured the butter mixture over the top. I wanted another easy side so I just heated up some home canned green beans from my garden. Add a slice of Hawaiian sweet bread and we were all set.

Oh my goodness. The garlic sauce was incredible. On my last bite of bread, I finally made the decision to dip it into the butter sauce. Oh wow. I'm not sure what has held us back from making potatoes like this before. But I know not much will keep us from making them again. In fact, the garlic sauce was so good that we already planned our next use for it. Thanks to my daughter's great idea. That's another secret so you will have to wait to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment