Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spinach pasta

March 30, 2013

We had some food fun this morning. My hubby had a trial run for something awesome he has planned for our Easter dinner. I can't wait to share it with you but you have to wait until tomorrow!

Once again, we had some errands to run today. Lunch out?! Nope. We made some broiled sandwiches before we left the house. We used lemon pepper chicken, homemade pickles, and muenster cheese.

Today was absolutely beautiful outside which at our house means one thing: grill. My hubby grilled us some local tenderloin steaks along with some onion and mushrooms. My daughter asked for some type of pasta. I found a bag of pasta that was tiny shells made with tomato, spinach, and beets. They were so colorful. Hmmmm. What sauce do I make? I settled on a homemade white cheese sauce. I sauteed some onion and garlic in butter and olive oil. I stirred in about 3/4 of a bag of fresh spinach. After a couple minutes, I stirred in 1/3 cup local white wine. Once the spinach was cooked, I stirred in half a block of cream cheese. After that was melted, I added 1 cup of milk, salt, and pepper. I saw that I also had maybe 1/4 container of feta cheese. In it went. I added about a tablespoon of cornstarch to a few splashes of milk and stirred it into the sauce to thicken it. I took the sauce off the heat and then grated in some fresh romano cheese. My hubby decided to fry up a habanero pepper like he did for our blt's yesterday. That must have been one hot habanero! As he was cooking it, he started to cough. Then my son (sitting at the counter) started to cough. Uh oh. Then it hit me by the sink. Goodness it was strong!

I was pretty surprised at dinner. My daughter will eat raw spinach leaves. She isn't too thrilled with cooked spinach though. Lately she has gotten really good about eating more spinach. Tonight she had two helpings of the spinach pasta. As if that wasn't cool enough, she then asked if she could put "cheese" on top of it. Do you know what she meant by cheese? Nutritional yeast! My son then asked if he could sample some of daddy's hot pepper. He started out with a tiny speck. No problem. He moved up to a small speck. No problem. Then he moved on to a small piece. Whamo! What brave kiddos we have. Even though he may have ran through the kitchen screaming....still brave. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment