Thursday, March 14, 2013

Food surprises

March 14, 2013

Today was a day full of food surprises. Surprise number one: my hubby packed leftover spaghetti for lunch. He likes spaghetti, but doesn't love it. On the first night. I don't think I have seen him eat leftover spaghetti in the past 14 years (ok, so maybe I just don't remember). Surprise number two: my daughter asked me "hey mom, can I pack lunch today?". School lunch was a hot meatball sub which is one of her favorites. The reason she wanted to pack? You got it. The new juice drink I bought because of the good deal on it. My plan that they could only drink them if they packed lunch worked. Ha. My daughter packed ramen noodles, goldfish, and yogurt. Surprise number three: my son who almost always packs a sandwich, asked to pack leftover spaghetti. Woah. I saw that we had hotdog buns that need to be used up so I just made a ham, homemade pickle, and muenster (the rest of last week's) cheese broiled sandwich.

I knew I wanted to use chicken thighs for dinner. I started browsing around online to get ideas. I saw something that peaked my interest....but also made me think that maybe this would be the meal that no one would want to eat. That thought was after I had it in the slow cooker so fingers crossed and lid down! I just seasoned the thighs with salt and ginger. I put them in the slow cooker and then added a jar of homemade (well, from my parents) peach salsa. I also added just a little water. I set it on low and let it cook for about 6 hours. Seeing as it was a sweet chicken, I wanted to do a complimentary side. I settled on making another batch of the quinoa kale and craisin pilaf that I made for lunch a few days ago. I sauteed some onion and garlic in olive oil and then added the quinoa. I toasted it for a few minutes and then added homemade chicken broth. I simmered it for 4 minutes and then added some chopped kale and about 3/4 cup craisins. It simmered for about another 8 minutes. My daughter made another batch of her now famous (ok, it's not....but it should be) garlic butter sauce. She put it on some slices of the leftover italian bread. So what did everyone think of peach salsa chicken?? Surprise number 4: we all liked it! The peach salsa gave the chicken just the right amount of sweetness. It was fall apart tender and very moist. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment