Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter food fest

March 31, 2013

My hubby was busy working on his secret creation for our Easter dinner so I made lunch for us. There was only one leftover steak. How do I make that stretch to feed both of us? I sauteed some onion, mushrooms, and garlic. I added some local white wine, salt, and pepper. Then I added the chopped steak and a handful of green peppers (frozen from my garden). I put a bed of spinach in my tortilla (hubby didn't want spinach) and then put the steak mixture on top. I sprinkled on some mexican cheese and some sour cream. Yum! My daughter ate up some leftover pasta and my son used up the last of the bread (surprise, goober sandwich).

Ok. You have waited long enough. Are you ready to hear about my hubby's secret creation?! You know he has a love of bacon. How do you incorporate bacon into Easter? Bacon Easter baskets! He made a bacon weave and put it on an upside down muffin pan. He made little twisty handles. We filled the bacon baskets with lettuce, shredded lettuce on top for "grass", and black olive and cherry tomato "eggs". They were a hit!

Our friends brought over deviled eggs, bacon wrapped lil smokies with brown sugar, rice crispy treats, fried pickles, and ham pinwheel sandwiches. I also made a batch of cookie dough hummus with cinnamon graham crackers. After snacking for hours, no one really felt like a big dinner. We decided to cancel out on making mashed potatoes, gravy, and buns. We settled on just having a light dinner of ham, pineapple, and corn (from the farmer's market).

It's dessert's time to shine. I made one of my mom's recipes. Lemon pie. I'm not even a big fan of lemon, but man this pie is yummy! In a graham cracker pie crust, the bottom layer is lemon pudding, lemon juice, and milk. Then you mix in cool whip with some of the lemon pudding and spread that on. Then top it with more cool whip and lemon zest. My hubby even made a pretty orange rose for the top. The other pie was a first time attempt for me. I made a thin mint pie out of girl scout cookies, cream cheese, sugar, and cool whip. I topped it with some shaved chocolate. The mint pie was good but was heavy when eaten alongside of the lemon pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment