Saturday, March 9, 2013

Hambaaa-gers

March 9, 2013

So here we are. Another Saturday. Uh oh. How do we hold off the temptation of going out for lunch? Especially seeing as we had some errands to run and would be in town anyway. I've got it. Tell my hubby that I am craving hamburgers. I wanted to try something new though. He mixed together a pack of local grass fed beef with a pack of local lamb. He grilled the burgers while he also worked on a new topping. He made caramelized onions with balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, and sugar. The toppings I chose were american cheese, caramelized onions, ketchup, and mustard. My hubby had pepper jack cheese. Kiddos like their burgers plain. We served them up with homemade pickles. The kids didn't notice anything different about the burgers. To me, they had a gamier taste than just beef. After lunch, we even told the kids that we did something different with the burgers today and asked if they had a guess what it was. They guessed that it was half beef and half chicken. Ha, nope. They liked my name for the burgers.... hambaaa-gers.

I decided to make one of the kids' favorites for dinner tonight. They LOVE my mini meatloaves. Well, seeing as the recipe is actually from my 8th grade home economics class....I guess they love my teacher's meatloaves. Ha. I have changed it a little bit over the years. We switched to using half beef and half turkey to make it a little healthier. The meatloaf itself is pretty basic. I think what really makes it is the sauce topping. It is made from tomato sauce, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and parsley. Tonight we added basil to it too. Oh, and by we, I mean my daughter. She had fun making the sauce. I sliced up a big sweet potato and drizzled the slices with olive oil. My daughter seasoned them with salt and pepper. They baked at 450 for about 20 minutes. About half way through, I flipped the potatoes over and then drizzled some of my father in law's homemade maple syrup on them. Our other side was simple. We grabbed a bag of corn out of the freezer (from the farmers market) and just heated that up. Yum. Yum. Yum. You know nights when you probably should have stopped eating about five bites before you did? Yep. One of those nights. It was delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment