Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Philly cheesesteak sloppy joes

March 26, 2013

My son packed his lunch today. He wanted to use Easter eggs again. He packed a hotdog and then searched around for something to put in his eggs. He found homemade cereal bars and fruit snacks. My daughter wanted to buy school lunch today because they were serving roasted garbanzo beans. I mean really. How can she pass up garbanzo beans?! Ha. I had leftover pulled pork shepard's pie.

I found a recipe for a twist on Philly Cheesesteaks on taste of home cooking blog. It's called "philly cheesesteak sloppy joes". I browned some local ground beef. Then I added onion and green pepper (frozen from my garden and farmers market). After a few minutes, I added a cup of beef broth (that I had in the freezer), two tablespoons of steak sauce (I used Country Bob's all purpose sauce), salt, pepper, and I also added adobo. As it simmered, I had everyone pick out what type of bun they wanted. We had hawaiian rolls to use up. There was also hotdog buns and a couple sub buns. Instead of making the cheese sauce from the recipe, we just topped the sandwiches with muenster cheese and then stuck them under the broiler. As sides, we just grabbed some sweet potato chips and homemade pickles.

The verdict? Everyone liked the sandwiches. I think next time I would double the amount of all purpose sauce that I put in. It was good but I think that extra sauce would really boost its flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment