Sunday, March 24, 2013

Loco for Coco(nut) shrimp

March 23 & 24, 2013

We had an incredibly busy weekend. On Saturday, the kids both had pinewood derby races for boy/girl scouts. We were there from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. They served us breakfast (donuts) and lunch (hotdogs, chips, cake, drinks) free of charge. We only had a little while after the races until we had to leave for our next activity (I had a Mary Kay party to go to while the kids went glow in the dark golfing with daddy). After being at the races all day, there was no way either of us felt like cooking dinner. We went to Moe's for a quick dinner of tacos, nachos, and quesadillas. I'm not sure why but I was still surprised at what my daughter ordered. Keep in mind she is only 10. She ordered a tofu taco with black beans as one of her toppings. Really?!

We did some cleaning this morning and then decorated for Easter. We needed a quick lunch because we had an Easter party to go to this afternoon for my hubby's work. I was proud of us though. Instead of heading out for a quick bite, we just heated up some pot stickers. Thank you Schwan's! My hubby's work provided the food for the party. They served us sandwiches (tray of assorted lunch meat and cheese), vegetables and dip, fruit and dip, assorted chips, assorted cookies, and drinks. After filling up and munching all afternoon, we really weren't too hungry come dinner time. I figured tonight would be a good night for us to try out a new recipe. Man am I glad we did.

We love coconut shrimp. You know, like Red Lobster's shrimp that comes with the coconut sauce. Mmmmm. Well, we got to work. I pulled up the recipe titled "Red Lobster Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp and Sauce" on cdkitchen.com. My hubby worked on the shrimp while I did the sauce. The shrimp are coated in bread crumbs, coconut flakes, pina colada mix, powdered sugar, spiced rum, and cornstarch. The sauce is made out of pina colada mix, water, crushed pineapple, coconut, powdered sugar, and cornstarch. My hubby was frustrated because the coconut mix didn't seem to stick very well to the shrimp.

The verdict? Oh wow. I think I said "oh this is so delicious" after literally every bite. Ha! I think that there was plenty of coconut on the shrimp. My hubby would like to try it with fresh shrimp (we just used a bag of precooked shrimp that I had in the freezer) to see if it would help the coconut to stick better. I wouldn't change anything about the flavor of this recipe. The sauce was amazing. I contemplated finishing off the rest of my sauce with a spoon after I finished the shrimp. I was able to contain myself though. I am already thinking about the next meal that we can use this sauce on. Coconut chicken?! Mmmmmmm. If you like coconut/pineapple, you NEED to try this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment