Friday, March 8, 2013

Keen quinoa copycat

June 21, 2018 UPDATE!

The quinoa craisin kale recipe has become one of my favorites. I decided to switch it up a bit today!

Have you heard of Ningxia wolfberries (also called goji berries)? They are a superfruit that is so good for us! Scientists have found that people who regularly eat wolfberries have led remarkably long and healthy lives. I've been trying to add them into our diet. I've added them to fruit salad. Yum. They soak in all the fruit juices and rehydrate into these plump little bites of deliciousness. Today I wanted to try something different.

I took my recipe that I created for the quinoa craisin kale pilaf (recipe below) and updated it with using wolfberries instead of craisins!

I love finding new ways to bring wellness into our lives!

*If you need help finding wolfberries, you can find them at this link. https://www.youngliving.com/en_US/products/organic-dried-wolfberries



March 8, 2013

The challenge kind of took a back seat today. The kids both wanted to buy school lunch. My daughter just couldn't pass up shrimp poppers. My hubby packed his breakfast and lunch though.

I was craving a dish from the restaurant Gordon Biersch: quinoa kale pilaf with craisins. Hmmmmm. I have quinoa. I have kale. I have craisins. I grabbed a container of homemade chicken broth out of the freezer and thawed it in the microwave. I chopped some onion and sauteed it in some olive oil along with some garlic. I added half a cup of quinoa and let it sautee for a couple of minutes. Then I added the broth (about 1 1/2 cups). I let it simmer for about four minutes and then I added a big handful of chopped kale and just less than 1/2 cup of craisins. It simmered for about 10 more minutes. I finished it off with just a little bit of salt.

It turned out great. The craisins add a delicate sweetness that balances out nicely with the kale. I scarfed down almost the whole thing but kept a little bit for everyone else to try. I had them each take a bite when they got home so that I would know if this is a dish they would want in the future. It passed my hubby's inspection. Next up, my daughter. She loved it. Ok, there probably isn't much chance of my son giving his approval....He liked it too! They all want it as a side dish another day. It will have to wait until I shop again because I'm all out of quinoa. I bet I could make it with some orzo pasta though. Oooooh. I'm looking forward to lunch this weekend now. Ha.

For dinner, we decided to go out. Our friends whom were part owners of a restaurant had their re-opening tonight as their first night as full owners. Of course we wanted to head out and support them.....we can always be tempted with chicken wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment