Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fakeout General Tso's

March 3, 2013

My poor little peanut still didn't feel like eating too much today. Fever is getting better, but she still isn't back to normal. So how do I try to tempt her to eat? By making one of her favorites. Well, kind of.

I had leftover balsamic chicken. I also had leftover rotisserie chicken. There is also leftover rice. Hmmmm. My daughter is always asking for chinese food. One of her favorites is general tso's chicken. I found a recipe on keyingredient.com. We were going to use the sauce on rotisserie chicken so we decided to skip the frying part of the recipe. We'll do that the next time we make this. I got everything all ready for my hubby (yay he was snowblowing the driveway!) so that when he came inside he could get it all started. I chopped up some cabbage, onion, carrot, and broccoli. Woah. What just happened?! My kids always come into the kitchen when I am cutting veggies and sneak bites of whatever I have chopped. For the first time ever, my son snagged some cabbage. He kept coming back for more. I asked him, what are you eating? He says, lettuce. Um, no buddy. That's not lettuce. Ha. Even after I told him what it was, it didn't scare him away from the cutting board. I also got out the ingredients for the sauce. I set out the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, pepper, cornstarch, water, ginger, and garlic. The recipe called for msg but instead we used adobo. I needed some chicken broth so I grabbed one of the small containers of homemade broth that I made yesterday and just thawed it in the microwave. My hubby sauteed the veggies, then added the chicken and sauce. I heated up some leftover rice and we were all set.

The verdict? I LOVED the sauce. I think we may need to use this sauce everytime we make stir fry. It is a very sweet sauce but it is delicious. Everyone really liked it. My son said it was a little thick. There was quite a bit of corn starch in the recipe so we could ease up on that. Next time we could probably cut back on the amount of sauce we make too. Overall, a definite win.

No comments:

Post a Comment