Monday, March 25, 2013

Pulled pork shepard's pie

March 25, 2013

I can thank a friend of mine for a website she pinned on Pinterest. It made my kids want to pack their lunches today. So what did she pin? Packing parts of their lunch inside plastic Easter eggs. My son packed leftover pasta, leftover homemade granola bars, and inside his eggs he put grapes and his treat of jelly beans. My daughter pulled out the leftover rice and leftover taco meat. I was grabbing her some toppings for her taco and she said "no mom. I'm just having the meat over the rice". Way to use up those leftovers! In her plastic eggs, she had grapes and her treat.

I wanted to use a container of leftover pulled pork from the freezer for dinner. Hmmmm. What should I do with it? I wanted it to be a meal that we hadn't tried before with pulled pork. I settled on Shepard's pie. I spread pulled pork in the bottom of a pie plate. I topped it with a bag of corn that I had froze from the farmer's market. I had a tiny amount of peas in the freezer so in they went too. Next, was a layer of mashed potatoes. I made two large baking potatoes and half a head of cauliflower into mashed potatoes.  I add a little milk, butter, and sour cream to them. On top of the mashed potatoes went some gravy. All I had was chicken gravy. I topped it all off with some cheddar cheese. I baked it at 350 until bubbly and then put it under the broiler for a few minutes. Voila. A new pulled pork dish. Whenever you have leftovers and need to find a new way to use them up, just think of some of your favorite recipes. Then it is easy to substitute some of the ingredients for what you have on hand.

The verdict? Everyone really liked it. I would make this again. I think we still like hamburger and ham better in Shepard's pie though. I could have waited until after Easter and then we would have used leftover ham and potatoes. Oh well. Now you guys know what you can make with your Easter leftovers. You are welcome! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment