Saturday, March 2, 2013

Stocked up for soup-er results

March 2, 2013

Good news: we stayed home for lunch on a Saturday. Bad news: it is because my daughter woke up with yet another fever. Ugh. My hubby made us burgers out of local grass fed beef. Yum. I had american cheese on mine along with sauteed onions and mushrooms. He had pepper jack cheese on his along with bacon, onions, mushrooms, and blue cheese crumbles. My son just had a plain burger. I knew my daughter wouldn't feel like a burger. So what is a mom to do? Make her new favorite soup. Lemon chicken. I made it a few weeks ago and she fell in love with it.

To make it go faster today, I just grabbed the homemade chicken broth out of the freezer. I popped it into a pot and turned it on to get it thawed out. Meanwhile, I chopped some rotisserie chicken, onion, celery, spinach, and carrots. I added them to the broth along with salt, pepper, and a bay leaf and let them simmer for about 5 minutes. Then I added some orzo pasta and the juice from three lemons. Last time I made this soup I only needed two lemons. I must have had a lot more broth today. So then I ended up with a chicken carcass. I grabbed the other one out of the freezer and put them in a big soup pot. I covered them with water and added two stalks of celery, a carrot, salt, pepper, and two bay leaves. After simmering for almost 6 hours, I ended up with 12 cups of delicious homemade chicken broth. I used different sized containers to freeze it in. I did a couple of containers that hold about a cup and a half. Those will be great when a recipe just calls for one can of broth. I did a couple containers with 3 cups and one with almost 4 cups. The bigger ones will get me stocked up for soups.

I wanted to try a new recipe that I found on Sugar-Free Mom's blog. My hubby seasoned some chicken thighs with basil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper. We added olive oil and chopped garlic to the slow cooker. The chicken went on top of the garlic and then balsamic vinegar was poured over the chicken. After four hours on high, we had flavorful chicken that was really tender. We wanted some quick side dishes so we just went with rice and a side salad. My hubby said he would like to try a pizza topped with this chicken, tomatoes, and some fresh mozzarella. Mmmmm. We may need to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment