Saturday, January 5, 2013

2 new recipes have "bean" a success!

January 5, 2013

My hubby had to work today (yuck, on a Saturday) so he packed his lunch. He packed leftover smoked beef roast, a hamburger bun, and an orange. Then he turned to me and asked "you didn't want me to leave you any of this roast did you?" Um. Are you seriously asking me if you can eat ALL the leftovers?! Ha. Have at it honey. So he ate it for breakfast too.

I needed to find a fun snack to hold us over while dinner was thawing. I had 4 small potatoes in the fridge. How about homemade potato chips? I never made them before but the recipe sounded simple enough. Slice potatoes very thin. Toss with olive oil and salt. Layer on a plate and microwave them for 2-3 minutes, flip, and 2-3 more minutes. Mine took about 3 1/2 minutes per side to get to the desired brown that we wanted. They do continue to crisp up as they cool. They were delicious. I can't wait to try them with sweet potatoes. I may try to do them in the oven next time instead of the microwave.

I took a container of leftover luau pork out of the freezer. My hubby is about to start a busy work schedule and he won't be able to have many dinners with us for awhile. His last dinner should be a good one. Pulled pork enchiladas. You know, the enchiladas I made for him earlier in this challenge and he said they were the best enchiladas he had ever had. I needed 15 ounces of tomato sauce to make the enchilada sauce. Uh oh. I only had one small can of sauce. Do I run to the store? Nope. Make do with what I have. I had a can of paste so I just mixed it with equal parts of water. Add in some sauteed onions and garlic (then thickened with flour), salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cumin, and chili powder. I added some green onions (frozen from my garden) and some jalapenos (frozen from my garden) in my hubby's portions. I had tortillas that needed to be used up soon. Score. I filled them with the meat mixture and mexican cheese. Topped with homemade enchilada sauce and more mexican cheese. Sour cream and avocado toppings after it baked.

Ok what other sides? Perfect, the leftover brazilian rice from yesterday really just tastes like mexican (tomato) rice. I remembered that I had bought my daughter a can of black beans. I figured I would warm them up for her. Then I realized that I was going about the black beans with a closed mind. Sure I haven't really liked beans (other than green beans) but if my 9 year old can like them, then shouldn't I give them a good try? I rinsed them and then put them in a pan. I had leftover corn (frozen from the farmers market, that we had for dinner yesterday) so I dumped that in. Salt, pepper, and some cumin seasoned them up. I couldn't believe that the corn gave it so much flavor. Really, it just tasted like corn with a hint of taco (from the cumin) that was more chewy than normal (due to the beans). I told the kids that anyone who ate all of their beans and corn would get a surprise. My son actually ate them all! Granted he covered them in ketchup, but still I was pleasantly surprised that he did so well. Wohoo!! *The surprise was a piece of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment