Sunday, January 27, 2013

Macaroni, meet chicken. Chicken, meet macaroni.

January 27, 2013

I started to clean out the fridge and set all the leftovers on the counter. I saw the rest of the cheese pizza and thought "hmmm no one is going to want to eat that anymore". The next words out of both of my kids mouths were "I want a piece of pizza". Ha. How wrong was I? They finished up the pizza and I had some leftover lasagna (my daughter ended up having some lasagna as well).

During the afternoon, we were hungry for a snack. My daughter grabbed the leftover apple pie salsa and homemade cinnamon tortilla chips. My son asked for the cookie dough hummus....It only took a couple of minutes until all three of us were digging into the hummus and they once again tried to bicker over who got the last bite. Ha. I guess I better make another batch of it soon.

I still had some rotisserie chicken that needed to be used up for dinner. I didn't really feel like making soup. I started browsing through Pinterest and my daughter saw a recipe for homemade macaroni. She said "oh, macaroni. Can't we put chicken in macaroni?" Indeed we can. I made a box of macaroni and cheese. Meanwhile, I heated up the rest of the rotisserie chicken and half a bag of peas from the freezer. I mixed them all together and put them into a small cake pan. For the topping, I took the leftover homemade croutons (kids had a blast crushing them) and mixed the crumbs with a little bit of melted butter and some freshly grated parmesan cheese. Topped the macaroni mixture and then baked at 400 for just a few minutes. My son said "this stuff is delicious". I think I would make it again except next time it needs more cheese sauce because the topping/baking it takes away some of the moisture.


No comments:

Post a Comment