Thursday, January 17, 2013

Slow cooked ham

January 17, 2013

Lunch was definitely a win for this challenge. I couldn't decide what to have so I heated up a little of the spaghetti with turkey leftovers and the rest of the quinoa and corn leftovers. Yum.

I found a recipe on Pinterest that I wanted to try tonight. It was really just red potatoes, green beans, ham, onion, and chicken broth in a slow cooker. I didn't have any red potatoes. I figured that regular baking potatoes would be just fine in it. I happened to have a bag of frozen green beans. As in store bought green beans. What? When did I buy that? I have a ton of home canned green beans from my garden and I did have a bunch of green beans (from my garden) in my freezer too (until this past week when that freezer broke), so why did I have these?? Oh well. I'm glad I did because the recipe called for frozen beans. I also added some allspice because I love allspice on ham.  I had bought a small chunk of ham (close to three pounds) that was on sale for less than half price. I froze a small portion of it for another meal. I made enough for tonight to feed us and to have some friends over. I served it along with a hawaiian sweet roll. I was so anxious to dig in to dinner that I forgot to take a picture of my plate. Oops! I got a picture of what was left in the slow cooker after I put it onto a platter.

This simple meal was actually pretty good. The beans and potatoes had really good flavor from the ham. Don't get stuck in a rut when it comes to how food is prepared. I have never done a ham in a slow cooker before. I either cook a large ham (like for holidays) in the oven or I buy a ham slice to cook on the grill. Now I wish I had bought another ham chunk seeing as they were on sale. You get all the deliciousness of a holiday ham but with the ease of a slow cooker. I even saved the juice to make some soup with on another day.

After dinner, I wanted my friend to try the cookie dough hummus. My kids along with her daughter scarfed the rest of it down! My kids were even bickering over the last couple bites of it. Seriously? That still blows my mind. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment