Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shake it and Slide it

January 29, 2013

I had an unexpected restaurant outing today. My friends had been gone for four months (and had a baby while they were gone) and they got back home late last night. There was no way anyone was keeping me away from their baby for another single day! So I met them out for lunch at a Japanese restaurant. Yum.

I needed a fun snack for when the kids got home from school. I looked through the fridge and saw that there were strawberries that needed to be used. Hey, I also had three bananas. I decided to make them some strawberry banana milkshakes. I grabbed the blender and tossed in about a half a box of strawberries, three bananas, a handful of ice cubes, one scoop of vanilla ice cream (it was all that was leftover from my daughter's birthday party), and a splash of milk. Served it up in a fancy glass and a strawberry on the side.

I had a hard time figuring out what to make for dinner. A pot of chili sounded good until I realized that I was out of tomato sauce. Then I thought about burgers but realized that I didn't have burger buns or american cheese. Hmmmm. I'm not acting very challenge worthy. Time to rethink this. I looked on the counter and saw that we still had five hawaiian rolls. Those would be perfect for sliders. No american cheese? I grabbed the shredded mexican cheese instead. I sauteed up some onions, mushrooms, and garlic with a little white wine. For a side, I made homemade sweet potato fries and served a homemade pickle with it. The fries were awesome and so simple to make. Peel a sweet potato and cut it into pieces the size of fries. Drizzle with olive oil (stir to coat), and sprinkle with salt and pepper. I used kosher salt. I baked them at 425 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn them after 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment