Thursday, January 3, 2013

Discount dining

January 3, 2013

My hubby and I decided to have a lunch date today. I looked through our coupon book that we bought from our kids' school fund raiser and found a winner. A free lunch entree (up to $8) with the purchase of another lunch entree at TGIF. Yum. I'm in. My hubby ordered a Spicy Craft Beer-Cheese burger. I ordered a turkey burger. Not too bad getting my lunch for only $1.58. It would have been only 59 cents but upgrading to sweet potato fries sounded way too good to pass up. I think we'll be buying a coupon book each year that they sell them. Don't feel self conscious using coupons. I love them. You don't have to feel guilty or spend a lot of money to go out to eat. Be choosey with what you order, use coupons, and join loyalty programs (we also earned points towards more free items in the future plus our receipt had a survey once filled out it will be worth $8 of freeness!).

My daughter requested shake n bake pork chops a couple weeks ago. I was a good mother and tried to obey. Ha. I put the shake n bake in my cart but when I got to the meat case, the pork chops didn't look too good. I contemplated putting back the shake n bake so it wouldn't count against my challenge but I got it anyway. Well, finally this week I found nice looking pork chops. Yay! Tonight's dinner would make my daughter super happy.

What to go with the pork chops? I bought spinach without any real plan as to what to make with it. I looked for recipes and came up with creamed spinach. I had made it once or twice before but I used some type of cream: heavy cream, whipping cream, half and half, etc. I didn't have any of them today. So I found a recipe for creamed spinach using milk. I thickened it with flour. I added sauteed onions, salt, pepper, garlic powder, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. I topped it with a little bit of crumbled bacon and freshly grated parmesan cheese. I didn't feel like making rice or pasta so I looked in the fridge for another side dish. Ah, a can of crescent rolls. I had the oven on for the pork chops anyway so this made it super easy. The kids even rolled them up for me. I served the pork chops with a side of homemade apple sauce (from our friend).

No comments:

Post a Comment