Tuesday, January 1, 2013

No yeast pizza crust (zucch-izza)

January 1, 2013

We totally redeemed ourselves today. We had a leftover lunch buffet. The kids had leftover rotelle noodles and homemade applesauce that our friend gave us. My hubby and I had leftover tacos (I can tempt that man to eat leftovers anytime if it involves a taco!).

We headed out to run a few errands (oops, totally forgot today was New Year's Day and some places we needed were closed). Yet another day where we run errands but eat at home before we go. Unbelievable. As we were driving back home and passed a Little Caesar's Pizza, my hubby said "oh, pizza sounds good".  I asked if he meant sounds good as in, stop and buy one or go home and make one? Yay hubby, he meant go home and make one.

Here's the problem. I didn't have a packet of yeast to make the pizza dough with. Oh! Then I remembered about two months ago I made pizza crust out of zucchini, flour, eggs, and cheese. I had made it when my hubby wasn't home for dinner so this is the perfect time to try it out on him.

I knew that using frozen zucchini (from my garden) ended up being a lot less than when I had put it into the bag. The recipe called for 4 cups of zucchini. I grabbed 4 bags out of the freezer (each bag was 2 cups at the time they were frozen), thawed, and then drained all the water out of them. I added 3/4 cup flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, salt, and pepper. The recipe also called for 3/4 cup parmesan cheese. I only had some romano cheese. Sure, that'll work. I grated it and there was only 1/2 cup so I just added an extra 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese. For toppings, you got your pick of bacon, black olives, onion, mushrooms, and pineapple (leftover from when we had ham). The result? Hubby said "surprisingly pizza-ish". Ha. I guess that's good.

For dessert, we still had goodies leftover from our Christmas baking. Ritz cookies (filled with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate), almond roca, and chocolate covered pretzels. Either we made really big batches or I am getting tired of chocolate. WHAT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment