Monday, January 21, 2013

A "penne" for your dinner

January 21, 2013

The kids had today off of school. Good thing because my daughter came down with a cold (again) so she could use the extra day to rest. She requested Mrs. Grass (chicken noodle) soup with an egg in it to make it like egg drop soup. My son asked for spaghetti-o's. I couldn't make him eat leftovers if my daughter didn't have to. He then asked if he could have a piece of the leftover focaccia bread with his lunch. I finished up the last of the leftover shepard's pie.

I am just starting to feel better since the last round of germs went through our house and like I said, my daughter started it over again. We have a big scouting event this coming weekend along with my daughter's birthday so I wanted to try something to hopefully get her feeling better and to keep my son and I from getting it. I read on Pinterest that a teaspoon of honey with a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon taken twice a day for two or three days should do the trick. I'm game. I mixed all of us up some and then cut up a banana for us to eat with it. I figure, if it helps us great. If not, at least the kids will have fun eating all this sugary stuff. Ha.

I took a container of turkey out of the freezer leftover from Thanksgiving. I had planned on making pasta primavera with a cheese sauce. However, after eating a spoonful of honey I didn't feel like eating a heavy cheesey sauce so I changed dinner plans a bit. My son picked out the pasta. He found a partial box of quick cooking penne (cooks in 3 1/2 minutes). Perfect. I had a bag of frozen carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower. When did I buy that? I hardly ever buy frozen veggies. It made for a very easy meal tonight. I steamed the veggies in the microwave while I boiled the pasta. I stirred together the turkey, pasta, veggies, and a jar of our home canned spaghetti sauce. I topped it with some freshly grated parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment