Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Chicken fried rice & grocery savings

January 23, 2013

I finished up the last of the leftover ham soup before I headed to the commissary. Uh oh, I had a pretty long list.

My pre-challenge weekly average was $175. Today I spent $11.36 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $2.29 on impulse items. I saw a container of orange/mango/peach juice that sounded good plus it has a lot of vitamin C in it which I am really trying to push this week. I spent $8.35 on magazines. I spent $63.04 on food. However, that is including $25.40 that is for food for my daughter's birthday party (feeding 5 adults and 10 kids). After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $107.67 out of pocket today. That is a savings of $67.33. My kids packed leftovers for lunch today (soup and penne) which saved $4. My pre-challenge weekly average for restaurants was $80. Can you believe that we did not go out to eat at all this week? Wohoo! So this brings my total for the week to saving $151.33. My grand total of savings is $1,703.69 in 98 days!!

I wanted a quick meal for tonight because we have wrestling. I saw that I had leftover rice. Hmmmm. Chicken fried rice. I chopped up part of a rotisserie chicken to add to it. I sauteed garlic, ginger, and green onion (frozen from my garden). I cooked two eggs along with a dash of soy sauce. I combined two cups of the leftover rice, a pile of chicken, one carrot, the eggs, about 3/4 cup of frozen peas, and two tablespoons of soy sauce. I sprinkled in a little salt. Voila. After about three bites, my son said "this is really good mom".

No comments:

Post a Comment