Monday, January 14, 2013

"Lettuce" eat

January 14, 2013

I looked through the fridge to figure out what had to be used up for lunch. There was a little bit of rotisserie chicken left. And by little, I mean, why did I even bother saving that little amount?? I still have two heads of romaine lettuce. Mmmm. Chicken salad. There was also some leftover edamame. I bet that would be good on a salad. I cut up a carrot and some mushrooms and added that too.

I wanted to have a snack ready for the kids when they got home from school. I noticed that we had some grapes that were getting past their prime. If I had told the kids, 'hey, eat those grapes because they are going to be bad soon', they would not want to eat them. However, if I made a fancy snack then it would make them eat anything. Ha. I also let them share a ginger ale. Shocking I know. I don't like to let them have soda ever.

I took some salmon out of the freezer. I couldn't figure out what to do with it. I knew I didn't feel like standing outside in the cold to grill it but just having an oven baked fillet of salmon didn't sound like what I wanted. Ahhhh. Romaine would be perfect for lettuce wraps. I cut up the last carrot and got out bowls for teriyaki sauce. What else? I wanted to make quinoa again. Man, I think I might be addicted to that stuff! I sauteed some onion and garlic, added the quinoa, and cooked for another couple minutes. I had about 3/4 cup of leftover chicken broth in the fridge so I used that plus 1 1/4 cup water for the quinoa. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and basil. Towards the end of cooking, I added a bag of corn (frozen from our farmer's market) and a handful of green onion (frozen from my garden). Oh my gosh. This recipe was exactly why quinoa exists. It was awesome. My son who said he did not like quinoa too much when I made it last week, ate his entire helping tonight and said he liked it. I think the kids liked it even more when we named the dish "corn-oa" (corn wah). I actually got disappointed when I realized that tomorrow is Tuesday and I will be going out for lunch with friends. Wait, what? Did I just get disappointed that I couldn't have leftovers? What is happening to me?! Ha. Hmmmm maybe the kids will want leftovers for dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment